1. Completion of secondary school is required.
2. Training of up to three months with an experienced operator is required for oil and gas well services operators.
3. One year of experience as a floorhand, assistant or labourer is usually required.
4. Certificates in first aid, hydrogen sulphide awareness, blowout prevention, workplace hazardous materials information system (WHMIS), transportation of dangerous goods (TDG), cryogenic safety or in other safety concerns may be required.
5. Most recent entrants have a community college diploma.