The GFOA’s Minorities in Government Finance Scholarship of $5,000 is available for award to an upper-division undergraduate or graduate student of public administration, (governmental) accounting, finance, political science, economics, or business administra-tion (with a specific focus on government or nonprofit management). The purpose of the Minorities in Government Finance Scholarship is to recognize outstanding performance by minority students preparing for careers in state and local government finance. The winner of the scholarship is invited to attend the GFOA’s annual conference, where the award is presented. This scholarship is funded by Siemens.
1. Currently a full- or part-time upper-division undergraduate or graduate student in public administration, (governmental) accounting, finance, political science, eco-nomics or business administration (with a specific focus on government or non-profit management).
2. Belong to one of the following groups (as defined by the U.S. Census Bureau): Black or African American, American Indian or Alaskan native, Asian, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, Hispanic or Latino.
3. Citizen or permanent resident of the United States or Canada.
4. Recommendation by student’s academic advisor, department chair (undergraduate students), or dean of the graduate program (graduate students).
5. Student has not been a past winner of a scholarship administered by the Government Finance Officers Association of the United States and Canada.