The Legacy of Life Scholarship is sponsored by the Washington Regional Transplant Community (WRTC), the D.C. metropolitan area's organ recovery agency, and its Donor Family and Community Advisory Council sponsor this scholarship. WRTC is dedicated to educating people from all walks of life in our community about the benefits of organ and tissue donation.
Who is eligible for the Legacy of Life Scholarships:
1. All essay and video entrants must be a current high school senior who both resides and attends high school, or is home schooled, in one of the following locations: Northern Virginia (specifically the counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, Clarke, Spotsylvania, Stafford, King George and Fauquier as well as the independent cities of Alexandria, Falls Church, Fairfax, Fredericksburg, Manassas and Manassas Park); Maryland (Montgomery, Prince George's and Charles counties only); and the District of Columbia; and plan to attend a college, university or community college in the 2021 fall semester. You are not eligible for the scholarship if you reside and attend high school (or are home schooled) outside the aforementioned counties and cities.
2. The following are ineligible to participate in the scholarship program: immediate family members and employees of WRTC and immediate family members of those who serve on the WRTC Board of Directors and any of the WRTC committees or councils. To ensure fairness during the initial review of the entries, please omit personally identifiable information about yourself from the body of your essay or video. NOTE FOR VIDEO SCHOLARSHIP ENTRANTS: You may appear in your video, however, please omit your name from the video itself.
3. The entry form must be complete and included in your submission as a separate attachment. Incomplete or missing forms will cause you to be disqualified.
4. You must write an essay and/or produce a video that will convince your audience to register to be organ, eye and tissue donors.
5. All scholarship winners will be required to attend a WRTC Donation 101 training and participate in at least one WRTC-approved donor registration event in the community following COVID-19 guidelines. Winners will receive the dates of the training and registration events immediately following the announcement of the winners. This requirement must be met before scholarships are paid. Reasonable accommodations (as determined by WRTC) will be made to ensure this requirement may be met by each winner.
6. One first place scholarship of $5,000, one $3,000 second place scholarship and three honorary scholarships of $1,000 each will be awarded for each the essay and the video category. Winners will be contacted directly by June 1, 2021 - only winners will be notified. Only after all winners are notified will the essays and videos be posted on https://www.beadonor.org/scholarship/.
7. The scholarship must be paid directly to the university or college which the winner attends by December 31, 2021. The money awarded will be paid in one lump sum, and must be used to pay for tuition, books, and other fees billed directly by the institution. The scholarship will be forfeited if the winner does not claim the scholarship by December 31, 2021, or if the student is not enrolled in and attended a college or university in the 2021 fall semester. Funds cannot be paid after December 31, 2021. Instructions for payment directly to the institution will be sent after the winners are announced.
8. An individual student may apply for one or both categories (essay and/or video) of scholarship per year; only one entry per student per category will be allowed.
9. All essays and videos, and all rights to their publication, become the property of WRTC which may use, edit, and excerpt these entries for promotional or any other purpose, including use on any WRTC digital media without attribution or compensation.
10. WRTC and its panel of judges reserve the right to award all scholarships (10 total), fewer (less than 10) or none based on the number of qualified applicants and their eligibility, suitability and quality. Any essay or video entry deemed inappropriate, unsuitable or otherwise ineligible may be disqualified at WRTC's sole discretion. The decisions of WRTC and the judges are final.
11. WRTC reserves the right to deny payment of the scholarship if any of the above rules and criteria are not met. The scholarship is paid only at the sole discretion of WRTC.