Each year, the British Columbia Historical Federation offers two W. Kaye Lamb Scholarships for student essays relating to the history of British Columbia.
• Lower prize for a student in the 1st or 2nd year is $750
• Upper prize for a student in the 3rd or 4th year is $1,000
The essay must be written by a student registered in a university or college in
The winning essays may be published in the Federation’s quarterly magazine, British Columbia History. Other submissions may be published at the discretion of the editor.
Notice of the winning essays will be posted in the British Columbia Historical Federation's publications.
Candidates must submit their application for this scholarship by May 15th and include:
1. A covering letter of application providing: Name, Postal Address, e-Address, College or University, Student Year, Name of supervising instructor, and an explanation in 300 words or less
• why you are interested in British Columbia history
• why you chose your topic
• any future plans to continue studies of British Columbia history
2. A letter of recommendation from the instructor for whose course the essay was written
3. An essay of 1500-3000 words for 1st or 2nd year or 1500-5000 words for 3rd or 4th year students on a topic relating to the history of British Columbia.
4. BCHF reserves the right not to award a prize in a given year should applications not be of sufficient quality.