All applicants must be:
* Blind, deaf-blind or partially sighted
* Canadian citizens or landed immigrants
* Pursuing a post-secondary programme (college, university or vocational) in the 2006-2007 academic year, with a full-time course load or at a 40% course load when accompanied by an explanation. Students at undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels are encouraged to apply.
* Exchange students studying abroad under a legitimate exchange programme and paying fees to a Canadian educational institution are also considered eligible, as are students who may choose to study abroad for compelling reasons such as lack of a similar programme in Canada, failure to be accepted into a programme in Canada, or the clear superiority of a programme abroad.
All scholarships are awarded on the basis of:
1. Academic performance 40%;
2. Service to the community and extracurricular activities, especially service to other groups and individuals with disadvantages including other persons with disabilities 30%; and
3. Surmounting barriers in life (family, community, attitudinal, systemic, educational, etc.) that have contributed to making the applicant the person he/she is today 30%.