Kids' Chance of California, Inc. is a non-profit organization established to provide post-secondary scholarships to dependent children of workers that have been killed or seriously injured in a compensable work-related accident or occupational disease with a California employer. Scholarships are awarded once a year and students may apply every year they attend classes.
A) Applicant must be between the ages of 16 – 25 years
B) Applicant must be the child or legal dependent of a worker killed or seriously injured in a compensable work- related accident or occupational disease with a California employer
C) Student applicant and/or deceased/injured worker are not required to be a legal resident of the United States
D) Applicant must be able to demonstrate financial need
E) Applicant must be enrolled, accepted or applying for acceptance as a full-time or part-time student at a university, college or technical school
A) A completed Kids' Chance of California Scholarship application
B) Proof of enrollment or acceptance at University/College/Technical School
C) Completed financial aid release form for 2021-2022 school year (Download KCOCA Financial Aid Form)
D) Documentation of accepted workers compensation claim – Letter from claims adjuster accepting claim/liability, Findings and Award by a WCAB judge (judges' decision) or Stipulations with Request for Award (settlement decision) indicating that the parent's injury or death was determined to be work-related/compensable. Please do not send medical records. If received by headquarters they will be destroyed after scholarship application
1. Kids' Chance of California, Inc. will do a preliminary review of all completed applications. Application deadline is May 15 for Fall and Spring scholarship funds. All supporting deliverables must be uploaded via the "Upload Supporting Documents" tool once logged – by no later than June 30 to be considered.
2. The Kids' Chance of California, Inc. Scholarship Committee will review all complete applications once required deliverables are uploaded. See above for Required Documentation.
3. Kids' Chance of California Board of Directors will review all completed applications including the recommendations made by the Scholarship Review Committee and will make a final determination regarding the scholarships to be awarded.
4. Kids' Chance of California will then notify the applicant of his/her award status and how awarding will be distributed.
5. Applicants must reapply for a scholarship each year. Scholarships are awarded annually and subject to enrollment documentation and availability of funds.
All decisions are at the discretion of the Board of Directors of Kids' Chance of California, Inc.