The mission of the Merchant Exchange Scholarship Fund is to support the educational goals of students seeking or advancing careers in Maritime Affairs and/or International Trade, in order to ensure the future prosperity of the Maritime industry.
The Merchants Exchange Scholarship is designed to help students seeking or advancing careers in a field related to the Maritime Industry and/or International Trade, by providing resources for their continued education. The Scholarship is awarded by merit to students seeking or advancing a career in the maritime industry, or that influences the maritime industry.
The Scholarship is awarded to students who have a minimum 3.0 GPA (or the school’s equivalent rankings) and are currently a junior or senior academic standing enrolled in a 4-year college/university; a freshman (first-year) or sophomore (second-year) at a 2-year institutional degree program; a graduate student; or a student in a US Coast Guard-approved course.
The student must have a declared major/minor related to the Maritime Industry and/or International Trade as their chosen field of study. To apply, applicants must complete a short online application, provide certified academic transcripts and submit one (1) letter of recommendation from a professor or direct supervisor. Awards can be used towards tuition, fees and books.
The recipients of the Merchants Exchange Scholarship will be selected by the Merchants Exchange Scholarship Fund Board of Directors and rewarded to outstanding individuals who meet the following criteria:
- The applicant’s chosen field of study must be in the Maritime Field and/or International Trade, and must enrolled in a 4-year, 2-year institution, Graduate degree program, or US Coast Guard (USCG) certified program.
- The applicant must be entering the appropriate year of study of an eligible program:
- 4-year Degree Students: The applicant must have completed the minimum credits and/or hours equivalent to two (2) academic years and must be of Junior or Senior standing at a US-accredited institution of higher learning or at a USCG certified institution.
- 2-year Degree Students: The applicant must be accepted to, or currently pursuing a degree (in your first or second year) in a 2-year program at a US institution of higher learning or at USCG certified institution.
- Graduate Degree: The applicant must be accepted to, or currently pursuing a graduate degree a program at a US accredited institution of higher learning or at USCG certified institution.
- Maritime Training Program (short course): The applicant must be accepted to, or currently completing training or certification in a program of less than two years, at a USCG certified institution.
- The applicant must maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA or the school’s equivalent rankings.
- The applicant must demonstrate academic achievement and have exemplary qualities in personal character. Financial need may be considered if other factors are equal.
Awards Available: 6
Award Deadline: May 31, 2023