A) No application is required. Contest is open to students worldwide, except where void or prohibited by law. Essays must be written in English only.
B) Entrant must be in the 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th or 12th grade at the time of the current contest deadline. ARI reserves the right to make exceptions to this rule, on a case-by-case basis, for international students or for students with nonstandard school years.
C) To avoid disqualification, mailed-in essays must include a stapled cover sheet with the following information:
1. your name and address;
2. your email address (if available);
3. the name and address of your school;
4. topic selected (#1, 2 or 3 from the "Topics" tab);
5. your current grade level; and
6. (optional) the name of the teacher who assigned the essay if you are completing it for classroom credit.
D) Essay must be no fewer than 600 and no more than 1,200 words in length, double-spaced. Spelling errors and/or written corrections (by anyone) found on the essay will count against the final grade and should be omitted before submission.
E) One entry per student per contest.
F) Essay must be submitted online or postmarked by April 18, 2019 for 11th and 12th graders and April 25, 2019 for 8th, 9th and 10th graders, no later than 11:59 p.m., Pacific Standard Time.