Scholarship Value: $1,000
Awards Available: 3
May 30, 2023
I’ve been very fortunate, and it’s time for me to give back. With the Irene Adler Prize, I’m awarding a $1,000 scholarship to a woman pursuing a degree in journalism, creative writing, or literature at a recognized post-secondary institution.
From 2017 to 2022, the annual essay competition featured U.S. and Canadian entrants exclusively. As of 2023, the competition is open to entrants worldwide, and up to two $250 honorable mentions will be also awarded.
My mother is a journalist and my sister works in publishing. The editors who gave me my big breaks with the New York Times, the Washington Post, and National Geographic are all female. Nearly every story of mine that’s won an award was assigned by a woman. Teachers, librarians, publicists, literary agents, fellow writers…I could go on. Women have had a huge impact on my career.
In today’s challenging climate, I want to let my female colleagues know – past, present and future – that they and their work are respected and valued. This is not to minimize men. It’s to help maximize the talents of the other 50 percent of the world’s population, which is too frequently shortchanged. The time is right.
1) Entry is free of charge.
2) There is no age restriction.
3) The Irene Adler Prize winner will receive a $1,000 US scholarship. Up to two awards of $250 apiece will be given for honorable mentions.
4) The competition is open to women commencing or continuing to pursue a bachelor’s, master’s, or Ph.D degree in journalism, creative writing, or literature at a recognized post-secondary institution in 2023-24.
5) Applicants may hail from any country worldwide.
6) The application period begins on January 30, 2023. The deadline is May 30, 2023. No late applications will be accepted.
7) Each application consists of two (2) elements:
- A 500-word essay in English based on one of the following five essay prompts:
- A completed entry form
8) The essay and entry form are to be emailed as separate attachments
9) There is a limit of one (1) entry per person. Multiple entries by the same person will be disqualified.
10) Entries will be judged on content, originality, structure, and overall writing quality by Lucas Aykroyd, the prize administrator. The administrator’s decisions are final.
11) Plagiarized entries will be disqualified.
12) The winner will be announced on August 1, 2023. Honorable mentions will be awarded at the judge’s discretion.
13) The prize administrator reserves the right to publish the winning essay and the author’s name on lucasaykroyd.com and to publicize it through various media channels.
14) Proof of enrollment at a recognized post-secondary institution for 2023-24 must be supplied before the prize is paid out. This can consist of a) a proof of enrollment letter or certificate from the institution’s registrar’s office b) an official tuition bill c) a schedule of classes.
15) The $1,000 US prize payment and $250 honorable mention payments are intended to be applied to educational expenses such as tuition fees. They will be made directly to the winner’s post-secondary institution, with two exceptions: a) if the post-secondary institution in question will not accept a direct payment b) if the winner attends a post-secondary institution that charges no or minimal tuition fees.
16) Payment of any applicable taxes is the responsibility of the winner.
17) The Irene Adler Prize is a one-time award. Past winners of the $1,000 scholarship are not eligible to compete again. However, entrants who have earned honorable mentions in previous Irene Adler Prize competitions remain eligible.
How to Apply:
To be eligible for the "No Essay" Nitro Scholarship you must be:A) A student who is currently enrolled as a high school senior or in an accredited college or university located within the United States;B) A parent who currently has a child enrolled in an accredited college or university located within the United States;C) A parent who currently has a...
The "Be Bold" Scholarship is a no-essay scholarship that will be awarded to the applicant with the boldest profile. It takes less than 2 minutes to apply.To us, boldest does not mean "best", or "most accomplished". Being bold means being:A) EarnestB) DeterminedC) MovingThe scholarship will be awarded to the student whose profile is most bold, according to these characteristics.Furthermore, the...
ScholarshipOwl is your source of relief from the dreaded application process. We put students on the fast-track to success by providing direct access to the scholarships they need the most. Take the hassle out of financial aid and maximize your chance at a free ride in college. No matter how much funding you need for school, we have the opportunities...
Niche is the market leader in connecting colleges and schools with students and families. With in-depth profiles on every school and college in America, over 140 million reviews and ratings, and powerful search and data tools, Niche helps millions of students and families find and enroll in the right school for them. Who Can ApplyAll high school and college students, as...
The SP College Scholarship program was created to help students win scholarships without the hassle of filling out paper applications and writing dozens of essays.To be eligible for the Scholarship you must be:A) At least 13 years old and enrolled or will enroll in a college or university in the US.B) A legal resident of the U.S. or Puerto Rico.Thus...
Scholarship Eligibility:A) Anyone who is between the ages of 14-25 who will be attending school in the Fall of 2024.B) This scholarship is provided by StudentScholarships.org. In order to apply for our scholarship follow these instructions:1. Go to www.facebook.com/myscholarships and place a comment on any post you see answering the question:In 10 words or less, tell us why you deserve...
The Geoscience Inclusion, Diversity, Equality, and Accessibility (IDEA) Scholarship program encourages women from under-served communities to pursue an education and career in the Geosciences, or Earth Sciences. Many research studies show the Geosciences are the least diverse community in all STEM fields. This Scholarship aims to counteract this and enhance diversity within the future Geoscience workforce.NOTE: Geoscience, herein, is defined...
Employees of Johnson & Johnson Consumer Inc., McNeil Consumer Healthcare Division, International Scholarship and Tuition Services, Inc. (ISTS), their affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies and the families of each are not eligible. Who is eligible to apply? Applicants must meet all the following criteria to be eligible for this scholarship:Be a resident of the 50 United States, Puerto Rico, or...
The Cameron Impact Scholarship is a four-year, full-tuition, impact-driven undergraduate scholarship awarded annually to 10-15 exceptional high school students who have demonstrated excellence in leadership, community service, extracurricular activities, and academics. The Cameron Impact Scholar is unique among their peers in their desire to directly impact their communities and in the world at large. Our Scholar aspires to contribute to...
Women at their best, working to help other women to be their bestSoroptimist was formed in 1921 in Oakland, California, at a time when women were not permitted to join service organizations. Our name, loosely translated from the Latin, means best for women. Today, we have over 25,000 members and supporters in countries across North America, Latin America and the...
Awards Available: 3
Award Deadline: May 30, 2023