Health Program Operations Manager - What They Do
Government managers in health and social policy development and program administration plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the development and administration of health care policies, social policies and related programs designed to protect and promote the health and social welfare of individuals and communities. They are employed by all levels of government.
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Participate in the development of health or social policies by providing advice to senior government managers
- Organize departmental unit and establish procedures to meet departmental objectives set by senior management
- Direct and advise health or social policy researchers, consultants or program officers who conduct research, prepare documents or administer programs for individuals and communities in areas such as health and social services, employment and immigration, labour or housing
- Plan, administer and control budgets for research and administration, support services and equipment and supplies
- Organize and direct committees and working groups to plan, manage or evaluate health and social services projects and programs
- Interview, hire and provide training for staff.
- social services director - government services
- housing policy and development director - government services
- health program operations manager - government services
- social services planning manager - government services
- city medical officer of health - government services
- director, health information and promotion - government services
- director, immigration and settlement - government services
This is what you typically need for the job:
Government managers in health policy development and program administration
- A bachelor's degree or college diploma in health science, hospital administration or public administration or a bachelor's degree in social science is required.
- A graduate degree in a health, social science or an administrative discipline may be required.
- Several years of experience as a health or social policy researcher, consultant or program officer are usually required.
- For some government managers in health policy development and program administration, certification in the relevant health profession is required. For example, city medical officers of health must be physicians.
Government managers in social policy development and program administration
- A bachelor's degree or a college diploma in a social science discipline, such as sociology or economics, or an administrative discipline, such as public administration, is required.
- A graduate degree in a social science or an administrative discipline may be required.
- Several years of experience as a social policy researcher, consultant or program officer are usually required.
- Leading and Motivating
- Recruiting and Hiring
- Co-ordinating and Organizing
- Allocating and Controlling Resources
- Projecting Outcomes
- Analyzing Information
- Liaising and Networking
- Professional Communicating
- Advising and Consulting
- Teaching and Training