Contractors and supervisors in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:
A. May also supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of related apprentices, helpers and labourers.
B. Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of workers who operate cranes and construction, paving, drilling, railway maintenance and other similar heavy equipment
C. Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other project supervisors or managers
D. Requisition materials and supplies
E. Resolve work problems and recommend measures to improve productivity
F. Train or arrange for training of workers
G. Recommend personnel actions such as hirings and promotions
1. Construction - 65.0%
2. Transportation and warehousing - 13.0%
3. Public administration - 5.0%
1. Completion of secondary school is usually required.
2. Several years of experience in the occupation supervised is required.
3. Journeyman/woman trade certification in a relevant trade may be required.
4. Most recent entrants have a community college diploma, and almost 2 in 5 have an undergraduate university degree.
3. Machine Shop
4. Industrial Arts
The average hourly wages for Contractors and Supervisors, Heavy Construction Equipment Crews is $22.77/HR, which is above average for occupations in the trades, transport and equipment operators sector and above average for all technical, professional, and skilled occupations. These wages grew at an average rate from 2002 to 2004.