Specialists in clinical medicine perform some or all of the following duties:
A. Supervise laboratory activities
B. Act as consultants to other physicians.
Specialists in surgery perform some or all of the following duties:
A. Assess patients' diseases or disorders to determine appropriate surgical procedures
B. Perform and supervise surgical procedures to correct physical abnormalities and deficiencies and repair injuries
C. Act as consultants to other physicians.
D. Diagnose and treat diseases and physiological or psychiatric disorders
E. Order laboratory tests, X-rays and other diagnostic procedures
F. Prescribe medication and treatment and refer patients for surgery
G. May conduct medical research.
Specialists in laboratory medicine perform some or all of the following duties:
A. Study the nature, cause and development of diseases in humans and the structural and functional changes caused by diseases
B. Conduct microscopic and chemical analyses of laboratory samples and specimens
1. You must complete a Bachelor of Science degree or, in Quebec, a college program in health science, and one year of pre-medicine university studies.
2. You must graduate from an approved medical school with training in your chosen area of specialization.
3. You must complete the certifying examinations of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and obtain a licence from the licensing authority in the province/territory where you'll work.
4. You also need to complete an additional period of supervised fieldwork/practical training or specialty residency program. The minimum residency program duration is four years and must be taken at a designated teaching hospital recognized by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
5. Almost 2 in 5 have either an undergraduate university degree or a community college diploma.
The average hourly wages for Specialist Physicians is $25.45/HR, which is close to the average for occupations in the health sector and close to the average for all professional occupations. These wages grew at an above-average rate from 2002 to 2004.