Drafting technologists perform some or all of the following duties:
A. Supervise and train other technologists, technicians and drafters.
Drafting technicians perform some or all of the following duties:
A. Develop and prepare engineering drawings, plans, diagrams or layouts from sketches
B. Operate computer-assisted drafting equipment or a conventional drafting station
C. Develop and prepare engineering designs and drawings from preliminary concepts, sketches, engineering calculations, specification sheets and other data
D. Operate computer-assisted design (CAD) and drafting workstations
E. Develop and prepare design sketches
F. Complete documentation packages and produce drawing sets
G. Check and verify design drawings to conform to specifications and design data
H. Write technical reports
I. Prepare contracts and tender documents
1. Architectural engineering and related services - 41.0%
2. Fabricated metal product manufacturing - 6.0%
3. Construction - 6.0%
4. Machinery manufacturing - 6.0%
5. Utilities - 4.0%
6. Public administration - 4.0%
1. In general, you need a high school diploma.
2. To be a drafting and design technologist, you usually need to finish a two- to three-year college or technical school program in engineering design/drafting technology or in a related field.
3. To be a drafting technician, you usually need a one- to two-year college program in drafting or have a combination of four to five years' related work experience, plus completion of college or industry courses in drafting.
4. You may need certification in electrical or electronics engineering by a provincial/territorial association, which is obtained after two years' supervised work experience.
5. With additional education or experience, you may specialize in civil, mechanical, electrical or other engineering design technologies.
6. Most recent entrants have a community college diploma.
4. Graphic Design
The average hourly wages for Drafting Technologists and Technicians is $20.94/HR, which is below average for occupations in the natural and applied sciences and related occupations and close to the average for all technical, professional, and skilled occupations. These wages grew at an average rate from 2002 to 2004.