Director of Communications - What They Do
Advertising, marketing, public relations and e-business managers plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the activities of establishments and departments involved in commercial, industrial and e-business advertising, marketing and public relations. They are employed by commercial and industrial establishments, government departments, and advertising, marketing and public relations firms or consulting businesses.
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Plan, direct and evaluate the activities of firms and departments that develop and implement advertising campaigns to promote the sales of products and services.
- Establish distribution networks for products and services, initiate market research studies and analyze their findings, assist in product development, and direct and evaluate the marketing strategies of establishments.
Public relations managers
- Direct and evaluate establishments and departments that develop and implement communication strategies and information programs, publicize activities and events, and maintain media relations on behalf of businesses, governments and other organizations.
- Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the design, development and maintenance of Internet, Intranet and mobile applications to manage an organization's online presence including public relations, communications, commercial activities and social media management.
- Internet communications manager
- Web communications manager
- Web marketing manager
- sales and marketing manager
- director, public relations
- advertising director
- advertising manager
- director, communications
- director, media relations
- fundraising campaign manager
- marketing manager
- promotions manager
- manager, e-business
This is what you typically need for the job:
Advertising and public relations managers
- A university degree or college diploma in communications, public relations, marketing, journalism or in a related field and Several years of experience in an advertising, public relations or communications officer position or in a related occupation are required.
- A university degree or college diploma in business administration or in a related field with a specialization in sales or marketing and Several years of experience as a sales, marketing or public relations representative or in a related occupation are required.
- A university degree or college diploma in a field related to electronic commerce, Web site content development, or Internet services and Experience in Web site design, interactive media development, data administration or information systems analysis or experience related to Web site content are usually required.
2. Business management
3. Entrepreneurship skills