Aims / Goals
To encourage the research and writing of Okanagan history by secondary and post secondary students.
Students currently in Grades 9 to 12, or at any post secondary institution.
- $1000.00 (one thousand dollars)
- Possible publication in Okanagan History, the annual publication of the Okanagan Historical Society.
The essay must:
- Depict history which occurred in the geographic area encompassed by the Okanagan, Shuswap and Similkameen Valleys.
- Be suitable for publication in the Okanagan Historical Society’s Annual Report (Okanagan History book).
- Be submitted by email.
- Be minimum length of 1500 words to a maximum of 2500.
- Include a separate cover page which shows the student’s information.
- Student’s Information:
- Student’s name and registration number.
- Name of Institution.
- Student’s telephone number and address.
- Student’s E-mail address.
- Title of essay.
The essay will be judged according to:
- Historical Information
- The degree to which the writer has gathered accurate information in different ways; has insightfully selected essential information; and has interpreted or synthesized that information.
- Effective Communication
- The quality of the historical content in that it effectively used rich, vivid detail in a style which engages and involves the reader.
- The work is original, not cut-and-pasted from other sources.
- The conclusions the writer makes which reflect clear, logical links between the information and interpretations based on relevant evidence; the way the writer describes his/her own thinking about the historical content which demonstrates a sophisticated understanding of the historical issue(s).
- Conventions of Writing
- Demonstrated level of organization, correct sentence structure, usage, grammar, diction, mechanics, bibliography and references.
- Use endnotes, not footnotes.
- Send photos, if any, separately from text.
Please submit Essay via email to:
Diane Ambil: email@example.com
For questions, please call 250-832-8545View Scholarship