First President of the Texas Federation of Business & Professional Women: Dr. Minnie Lee Maffett (1882-1964) Minnie Lee Maffett spent her entire life serving others. After years teaching and serving as principal of several schools, she graduated from the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston in 1914 as a physician and surgeon. She founded and directed Southern Methodist University’s health center from1915 to 1949 and served on the staffs of several Texas hospitals over the years.
But it was through her Business & Professional Women’s Club membership that Maffett made the biggest impact as founding president of the Texas Federation (1919-20) and twice president of the National Federation (1939-44). The Texas Federation established a scholarship in her name to assist women studying to enter the medical or nursing profession. Maffett led their fight against state and federal laws that would have barred married women from the workforce and induced the U.S. War Department to offer military commissions to female doctors serving in World War II. She also rallied the National Federation to raise more than $250,000 to build a training school and residence in Taiwan for Chinese Nurses.
Known as the “Flying Doctor” for her many service trips to other countries, Maffett was returning to Texas from the dedication of the Taiwanese nurses building named for her when she became ill and died in Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Applicant must be female.
- Scholarship monies must be used at an accredited Texas College, University or Certification program
- If seeking a degree, applicant must have completed at least two semesters of studies. If seeking certification only, applicant must be registered for the certification program and have already paid the fees associated therewith.
- Application and all supporting documents must be submitted by March 31.
- Scholarship monies will be paid directly to the registrar of recipient’s chosen college or university unless applicant is seeking a certificate. In the event applicant is seeking a certificate, scholarship monies will be paid to applicant contingent on proof of payment being already made by applicant.
- A recipient of this scholarship remains eligible to apply for future scholarships.
- Applicant must be pursuing a M.D., D.O., O.D., BSN, MSN, DNP or a Master of Science in Medical Sciences, Bachelor or Master of Science in Nursing, -or in pursuit of a degree or certification in one of the areas listed below in order to qualify for this scholarship:
Cardiovascular Technologist, Cytotechnologist, Emergency Medical Technician, Medical Assistant, Medical Sonographer, Nuclear Medicine Technologist, Nurse Anesthetist, Nurse Midwife, Nurse Practitioner, Occupational Therapist, Orthotic and Prosthetic Professional, Pharmacy Technician, Phlebotomist, Physical Therapist, Physician Assistant, Registered Nurse, Respiratory Therapist, Surgical Technician, Community Health Education, Kinesiology, Nuclear Medicine Science, Nursing Program, Rehabilitative Sciences, Sport Management, other related medical field
If seeking a degree:
- Applicant must have a 3.0 or better grade point average; Submit certified transcripts of all college work.
- An essay shall be submitted by the applicant, not to exceed two pages, discussing one of the following topics: Importance of Women in Nursing/Medicine-, or Why Have You Chosen Nursing/Medicine as your Career Path
- Two letters of reference must accompany application (example: college professors, counselors, employers or professional colleagues);
- Name of institution and student ID for the scholarship check and address to send check.
If seeking a certification, applicant must provide proof of payment of the fees associated with the program, the total cost and length of the program and a short essay stating what your goals are with regard to this certification.
The recipient of this scholarship is required to provide Texas Business and Professional Women’s Foundation, Inc. with a digital photograph for publication and at least one message during the year regarding their experience.How to Apply: