This scholarship fund was established by the ASLA Council of Fellows in 2004 to:
- aid outstanding students who would not otherwise have an opportunity to continue a professional degree program due to unmet financial need;
- increase the interest and participation of economically disadvantaged and under-represented populations in the study of landscape architecture;
- enrich the profession of landscape architecture through a more diverse population.
One $10,000 scholarship and up to three $5,000 runner-up scholarships are awarded each year to promising students, with priority given to students of underrepresented populations and/or with financial need. Geographic distribution of the applicant pool will also be considered.
Eligible applicants must be U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents who are third, fourth, or fifth-year undergraduates in Landscape Architecture Accreditation Board (LAAB) accredited programs of landscape architecture. Graduate students are not eligible for this award.
In addition to the scholarship award, each recipient will also receive registration for the ASLA Conference on Landscape Architecture and (if in-person) a travel stipend to attend. Scholarship recipients are expected to attend the ASLA Conference on Landscape Architecture to receive their awards.
See the General Application Guidelines for information on using our online application system. All submissions must adhere to guidelines and deadlines in order to be considered. Additional materials will not be reviewed.
All LAF scholarships and fellowships require applicants to submit the following materials:
- General Submission Form*
- Complete this online form with basic contact information and details about your degree program.
- Provide a color headshot in jpg format that is at least 1800x1200 pixels. It should be horizontally-oriented, well-lit with a simple background, and include your entire head and shoulders. LAF retains the right to use any submitted photo on our website and in other materials promoting LAF’s scholarship programs.
- Bio for the LAF Website (150 word max)
- Provide a short bio in PDF, Microsoft Word, or TXT format. In 150 words or less, describe your background, current educational pursuits, future plans, and any other personal interests or activities.
- Resume (2 page max)
- Upload your resume or CV in PDF format. It should include your education, professional experience, extra-curricular activities, and honors and awards. Please include Applicant Name/Resume/Scholarship Name and page number on each page.
In addition, this scholarship requires the following:
- Financial Aid Form
- Complete this online form with information about your financial needs and any financial assistance you currently receive.
- 2 Letters of Recommendation
- One letter must come from a faculty member; the other letter may be sent by another faculty member or a non-academic member of ASLA. The letters should specifically address your merit as a student of landscape architecture. Provide the e-mail address for each recommender and instructions will be sent to them.
- Essay (2 page max)
- Upload your original essay in PDF format. In 500 words or less, describe how you envision yourself contributing to the profession of landscape architecture. The essay should be no more than two pages with margins of at least 1”, 10-point or larger font, and no images or graphics. Please include Applicant Name/Essay/Scholarship Name and page number on each page.
*Applicants from underrepresented populations should indicate their association with a specific ethnic or cultural group on the last question of the General Submission Form.View Scholarship