The Fairilla Emory White Scholarship was established as a tribute to a historic black educator and charter member of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., Kappa Zeta Chapter. Mrs. White, born in Dallas on October 7, 1898, was to be cited as Dallas' "oldest living teacher of record" however, she passed just two days shy of the award presentation.
An education pioneer, Mrs. White graduated from Dallas' Colored High School in 1916 and Bishop College in Marshall, Texas in 1920. She taught at Southern University in Baton Rouge, LA and returned to Dallas in 1922. She taught math at Dallas' Fred Douglass and Phyllis Wheatley Elementary schools and, beginning in 1924, at Booker T. Washington High School.
The scholarship is to be awarded to female high school seniors who have excelled academically during their high school careers.
The winner will be selected on the documentation and recommendations submitted and an interview. The winner will be honored in Spring 2023.
- Must be a female high school senior
- Must plan to pursue post high school studies (2 or 4 year college/university)
- Must be a resident of Dallas-Fort Worth county.
- Must not plan to join another NPHC affiliated Sorority while receiving the award.
- Complete the application for this scholarship.
- Then scan the following documents:
- Digital photo (headshot) in JPEG or PNG format.
- Official high school transcript with rank and unweighted GPA (4.0 scale)
- Two letters of recommendation from any of the following: High School Teacher/Administrator/Counselor, Community Leader, Minister/Church Leader or Supervisor from work or Community Service Project (Recommendations should be addressed to the Scholarship Committee of Kappa Zeta with a signature and contact information.)
- In 500 words or less, tell how this award can help you to achieve these goals and why you should receive this award.
- Documentation of volunteer hours, awards, etc. with dates of activities and total hours calculated
- Attach and send documents to Scholarship Committee:
- Gmail Account Holder: Please create a folder with your supporting documentation. Be sure to update the share settings on your folder to include that "anyone with the link" may view. Your folder should be titled: “Farrilla E. White Scholarship _[First and Last Name].” Send the folder link to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 PM on Friday, March 31, 2023. The subject of your email should be “Farrilla E. White Scholarship _[First and Last Name]."
- Non- Gmail Account Holder: Email your PDF file which includes your transcript, letters of recommendation, community service hours, and statement. Your digital photo will need to be attached separately as a JPEG or PNG. Send all documents to email@example.com by 11:59 PM on Friday, March 31, 2023. The subject of your email should be "Farrilla E. White Scholarship _[First and Last Name].”
Awards Available: 1
Award Deadline: Mar 31, 2023