Beginning Jazz Dance - 1st year
Designed for students who have an interest in jazz dance. The class is designed to teach stretching, across the floor movement, and jazz and hip hop dance steps and sequences. The course is taught in progression, teaching basics in the beginning and each week building upon that foundation as the students move through the session. No previous dance training required.
By the end of this course, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate proper stretching techniques;
2. Demonstrate improved flexibility and coordination through stretching that is done in class as well as steps that are learned;
3. Identify and demonstrate dance terminology, such as names of steps;
4. Perform a jazz/hip hop dance to a song that is learned through the session.
Course topics will include the following:
1. Warm up and stretching
2. Moving across the floor with individual dance steps
3. Learning 2-3 8 counts of a jazz/hip hop dance sequence
4. Moving across the floor with combination dance steps
5. Cool down
Method of Instruction:
1. Participation in class activities.
2. Analysis and demonstration by instructor.