Algebra - 1st year
Intended to broaden mathematical knowledge and deepen the systematic and analytic thought processes of technical and non-technical students. Range of topics covered includes functions and graphs, linear and quadratic equations, inequalities, polynomials, rational and irrational expressions, exponents, systems of equations, as well as exponential and logarithmic functions. There is an emphasis on problem-solving skills and how to communicate with mathematical notation.
By the end of this course, students will be able to:
1. Simplify expressions with positive, negative, zero or rational exponents;
2. Add, subtract, multiply and divide imaginary and complex numbers;
3. Solve linear equations and inequalities including equations with more than one variable, rational expressions and absolute values;
4. Solve quadratic equations by factoring and by the quadratic formula;
5. Solve application problems involving linear and quadratic equations;
6. Demonstrate an understanding of the concept of function and functional notation;
7. Graph functions involving lines, the conic sections, and absolute values;
8. Find the distance between points, the slopes and equation of lines in the
9. Graph and solve exponential and logarithmic equations and applications problems;
10. Solve systems of linear equations in two and three unknowns;
11. Solve systems of nonlinear equations in two unknowns;
12. Find the domain of a function;
Course topics will include the following:
1. Linear, quadratic, polynomial, exponential and logarithmic expressions, equations, inequalities and functions.
2. Systems of equations.
3. Graphing equations and functions.
4. The conic sections.
5. Applications of algebra.
6. The use of computer programs in algebra.
Method of Instruction:
3. Classroom Problem Solving
1. College Algebra, 5th Edition (Larson & Hostetler, Houghton Mifflin, 2001)