Elementary Korean 1 - 1st year
Introduction to spoken and written Korean, providing practice in listening, speaking, reading, writing and grammar. This course will include extensive utilization of cultural material and information.
By the end of the course, students will be able to:
1. Speak words, phrases, and sentences in Korean with the proper pronunciation and intonation;
2. Demonstrate understanding of basic expressions for use in everyday situations including classroom interaction;
3. Use appropriate words and phrases in various social situations;
4. Write grammatically correct sentences and paragraphs in Korean characters;
5. Read elementary texts written in Korean.
Course topics will include the following:
1. Pronunciation and intonation;
2. Characters, basic grammar and writing system;
3. Useful expressions for everyday situations (e.g. Greeting people, initiating and maintaining conversations, asking for directions, etc.) As well as useful expressions for academic settings;
4. An introductory repertoire of vocabulary and basic phrases.
Method of Instruction:
1. Partial immersion: after the first day of class, the instructor will gradually increase use of Korean as the language of instruction;
2. Role play;
3. Pair work;
4. Group work;
5. Audio/video assisted exercises;
Types of Assignments:
1. Audio-visual assisted exercises;
2. Homework assignments from the reading and writing workbook;
3. Class preparation;
4. Occasional supplemental exercises using the interactive cd-rom program and/or other computer software or material from the internet