Intensive Lab is an interactive, task-based listening and speaking course. Students will work with a variety of computer-based audio and visual equipment and materials. Goals for the course include production of prosodic features of English pronunciation, TOEFL practice, as well as comprehension, effective note-taking, and analysis, synthesis, and evaluation of presentations on topics of current public and academic interest.
By the end of the course, students will have:
1. Practiced a portion of the TOEFL Listening Test.
2. Watched two full-length feature English language films and engaged in relevant, interactive tasks with classmates.
3. Watched a variety of English language news, documentary, or serial programming and responded to the content by engaging in a variety of activities; and/or practiced features of American English pronunciation.
Course topics will include the following:
1. The TOEFL Listening Test
2. Brief news reports, documentaries, and serials
3. College-level academic lectures recorded on video
4. Commercially produced English language films
5. Music and books on tape and CD as language learning opportunities
6. Applications and academic tasks
Method of Instruction:
1. Interactive audio and video exercises
2. Individual, pair, and group work