Intensive Advanced Listening - 3rd year
This is an accelerated listening comprehension strategies course for students who are non-native speakers of English. The course emphasizes extensive note-taking from academic lectures, critical thinking skills, and vocabulary expansion.
By the end of the course, students will be able to:
1. Record into notes main ideas, key supporting details, and examples.
2. Effectively employ abbreviations and symbols in notes.
3. Recognize key discourse markers and indicate in notes the functions they serve (e.g., changing topic, defining key vocabulary, listing examples, explaining cause and effect relationships).
4. Record into notes explanations given for key terms related to lecture topics.
5. Construct and organize an outline using information recorded in notes.
6. Organize lecture content (e.g., according to sequence or selected categories) in notes.
7. Relate relevant personal experience, tangential knowledge, or reading to lecture content.
8. Respond with accuracy to short answer and essay questions based on lecture material.
Course topics will include the following:
1. Academic lecture comprehension
2. Academic note-taking skills
3. Outlines of lecture material
4. Analysis, synthesis, and interpretation
5. Vocabulary expansion
6. Responses to test questions based on lecture material
Method of Instruction:
3. Small group activities
Types of Assignments:
1. Lecture listening comprehension
3. Critical thinking exercises
4. Vocabulary expansion
5. Prepared and spontaneous oral production