This is what you typically need for the job:
- A bachelor's degree or college diploma in a social science or related discipline, or in business administration is usually required.
- A master's degree in a social science or related discipline or in business administration may be required.
- Home economists require a bachelor's degree in home economics, home economics education, human ecology, nutrition and food sciences or family and consumer studies.
- Registration is available, but voluntary, for home economists but the use of the designation "Professional Home Economist" is regulated in New Brunswick, Ontario, Manitoba and Alberta, and "Registered Professional Home Economist" in British Columbia.
- Certified immigration consultants must be registered members of the Canadian Society of Immigration Consultants.