1. Completion of a two- or three-year college program in mechanical engineering technology is usually required for mechanical engineering technologists.
2. Completion of a one- or two-year college program in mechanical engineering technology is usually required for mechanical engineering technicians.
3. Certification in mechanical engineering technology or in a related field is available through provincial associations of engineering/applied science technologists and technicians and may be required for some positions.
4. A period of supervised work experience, usually two years, is required before certification.
5. In Quebec, membership in the regulatory body is required to use the title of Professional Technologist.
6. Most recent entrants have a community college diploma.