1. Completion of secondary school is usually required.
2. Completion of a two- to three-year apprenticeship program or Over three years of work experience in the trade and some high school, college or industry courses in ironworking are usually required to be eligible for trade certification.
3. Trade certification is compulsory in Quebec and Alberta and available, but voluntary, in Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and British Columbia.
4. Red Seal, an interprovincial trade certification, is also available to qualified ironworkers.
5. Most recent entrants have a community college diploma.