1. Completion of secondary school is usually required.
2. Completion of a four- to five-year apprenticeship program or A combination of over five years of work experience in the
trade and some high school, college or industry courses in steamfitting, pipefitting or sprinkler system installation is usually
required to be eligible for trade certification.
3. Steamfitter-pipefitter trade certification is compulsory in Quebec, Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia and available, but
voluntary, in all other provinces and the territories.
4. Sprinkler system installer trade certification is compulsory in Quebec and British Columbia and available, but voluntary, in all
other provinces and territories.
5. Red Seal, an interprovincial trade certification, is also available to qualified steamfitters-pipefitters and sprinkler system
6. Most recent entrants have either a trade/vocational certificate or a community college diploma.