This is what you typically need for the job:
- A bachelor's degree in social work is required in Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, British Columbia, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
- In Alberta, a bachelor's degree or diploma in social work is required.
- Supervised practical experience is usually required.
- Successful completion of provincial written and oral examinations may be required.
- Registration with a provincial governing body is mandatory to practise as a social worker in Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario and Alberta.
- Use of the titles "Social Worker" and "Registered Social Worker" is regulated in all provinces.
- Membership in a provincial association of social workers is usually required.