This is what you typically need for the job:
- A master's degree in the field of counselling, mental health or a related social service discipline is usually required.
- In Quebec, a master's degree in psychoeducation is required to practise as a psycho-educator.
- An undergraduate degree or college diploma in a social science is required for certain areas of counselling.
- Membership with a provincial association for marriage and family therapists or clinical counsellors is required to use the title "Registered Marriage and Family Therapist" or "Registered Clinical Counsellor", and in Quebec, to use the title "marriage and family therapist (MFT)", "family therapist (FT)" or "marriage therapist (MT)". Membership with a provincial association may be required by some employers.
- In Quebec, membership in the professional association is mandatory for counsellors and psychoeducators.
- Registered marriage and family therapists and registered clinical counsellors must meet strict criteria involving post-graduate education and a period of supervised clinical work with clients.