1. In general, you usually need a high school diploma.
2. You usually need a college program in aircraft maintenance or a four-year apprenticeship program.
3. To be an aircraft mechanic, you need several years' on-the-job training.
4. To be an aircraft mechanic or inspector, who signs maintenance releases and certifies airworthiness, you also need an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (AME) licence issued by Transport Canada.
5. Trade certification for aircraft maintenance engineers is available, but voluntary, in the Northwest Territories.
6. Trade certification for aircraft structural technicians is available, but voluntary, in British Columbia.