This is what you typically need for the job.
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- A college diploma in aircraft maintenance or Completion of a four-year apprenticeship program is usually required.
- Several years of on-the-job training are required for aircraft mechanics.
- Aircraft mechanics and inspectors who sign maintenance releases and certify airworthiness require an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer's (AME) licence issued by Transport Canada.
- Trade certification for aircraft maintenance engineers is available, but voluntary, in Ontario, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
- Trade certification for aircraft structural technicians is available, but voluntary, in British Columbia.
- Industry certification from the Canadian Aviation Maintenance Council for some occupations in this unit group is available, but voluntary.
- Aircraft inspectors require several years of experience as an aircraft mechanic.