This is what you typically need for the job:
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- A college diploma in law and security or police technology may be required.
- Training is provided for airport security guards and establishment-specific training may be provided for security occupations in this unit group.
- Security guards carrying firearms require a licence.
- Armoured car drivers require a Valid Possession and Acquisition License (PAL) and a Firearms Acquisition Certificate (FAC) for both restricted and non-restricted firearms.
- In Quebec, a permit issued by the Sûreté du Québec is required to work as a private detective or security officer.
- Corporate security officers may require experience as a police officer.
- Private investigators require provincial licensure.
- Responsible beverage service certification is usually required for security staff in establishments serving alcoholic beverages.