1. You usually need a high school diploma.
2. To gain trade certification as a carpenter, you usually need either a three- to four-year apprenticeship program, or a combination of over four years' work experience and some high school, college, or industry courses in carpentry.
3. Trade certification is compulsory in Quebec and available, but voluntary, in all other provinces/territories.
4. Qualified carpenters may also obtain interprovincial (Red Seal) trade certification, which provides job mobility throughout the country.
5. With experience, you may move up the ranks to become a supervisor.
6. Most recent entrants have a trade/vocational certificate and almost 2 in 5 have a community college diploma.
Career Related Questions
What is a day in the life of a Carpenters like?
Carpenters perform some or all of the following duties: A. Read and interpret blueprints, drawings and sketches to determine specifications and calculate requirements B. Prepare layouts in... more
What education do you need to become a Carpenters?
1. You usually need a high school diploma. 2. To gain trade certification as a carpenter, you usually need either a three- to four-year apprenticeship program, or... more
What is the current Job Outlook for a Carpenters?
The job outlook for Carpenters is considered Average because: 1. Employment grew at an average rate. 2. Hourly wages ($17.65) are close to the average ($18.07), and... more
What is the future Job Outlook for a Carpenters?
Your job outlook will continue to be Average because: 1. Although the retirement rate will likely be average, the number of retiring workers should contribute to job... more
How much does a Carpenters make?
The average hourly wages for Carpenters is $17.65/HR, which is close to the average for occupations in the trades, transport and equipment operators sector and close to... more
What is the currently unemployment rate for a Carpenters?
11% of Carpenters are unemployed. This rate is close to the average for technical, professional, and skilled occupations. more
How many Carpenters are employed part-time?
5% of Carpenters are employed only on a part-time basis. There were 111,800 workers employed in these occupations in 2004, an increase of 16% since 1997. more
- How many Carpenters are self-employed?
Roughly 27% of Carpenters are self-employed. This is considered Above average for the industry as a whole. more
What is the average age of a Carpenters?
The retirement rate to 2009 will likely be average reflecting the age/retirement structure of the occupation. more