1. You usually need a high school diploma.
2. To gain trade certification as a carpenter, you usually need either a three- to four-year apprenticeship program, or a combination of over four years' work experience and some high school, college, or industry courses in carpentry.
3. Trade certification is compulsory in Quebec and available, but voluntary, in all other provinces/territories.
4. Qualified carpenters may also obtain interprovincial (Red Seal) trade certification, which provides job mobility throughout the country.
5. With experience, you may move up the ranks to become a supervisor.
6. Most recent entrants have a trade/vocational certificate and almost 2 in 5 have a community college diploma.