This is what you typically need for the job:
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a three- to four-year apprenticeship program or A combination of over four years of work experience in the trade and some high school, college or industry courses in carpentry is usually required to be eligible for trade certification.
- Trade certification for carpenters is compulsory in Quebec and available, but voluntary, in all other provinces and the territories.
- Trade certification for framers is available, but voluntary, in Saskatchewan.
- Red Seal endorsement is also available to qualified carpenters upon successful completion of the interprovincial Red Seal examination.