1. To be a chemical technologist, you usually need a two- to three-year college diploma.
2. To be a chemical technician, you usually need a one- to two-year program in chemical, biochemical or chemical engineering technology, or in a closely related field.
3. You often need certification by a professional organization in your field, which is usually obtained after a two-year supervised work period.
4. You may obtain national certification for chemical technologists/technicians through the Canadian Society for Chemical Technology.
5. In Quebec, you must be a member in l'Ordre des technologues professionnels to use the title of Professional Technologist.
6. There is considerable mobility among jobs within this occupational group and with experience, you may move up the ranks to be come a manager.