This is what you typically need for the job:
- Chemical technologists usually require completion of a two- or three-year college program in chemical, biochemical or chemical engineering technology or a closely related discipline.
- Chemical technicians usually require completion of a one- or two-year college program in chemical, biochemical or chemical engineering technology.
- National certification for chemical technologists and technicians is available through the Canadian Society for Chemical Technology.
- Certification in chemical engineering technology or in a related field is available through provincial associations of engineering/applied science technologists and technicians and may be required by employers.
- In Quebec, membership in the regulatory body is required to use the title "Professional Technologist."
- A period of supervised work experience, usually two years, is required before certification.