This is what you typically need for the job:
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Cook's trade certification, which is available in all provinces and territories, or equivalent credentials, training and experience, are required.
- Executive chefs usually require management training and several years of experience in commercial food preparation, including two years in a supervisory capacity and Experience as a sous-chef, specialist chef or chef.
- Sous-chefs, specialist chefs and chefs usually require several years of experience in commercial food preparation.
- Red Seal endorsement for cooks is also available to qualified chefs upon successful completion of the interprovincial Red Seal examination.
- Chef de cuisine certification, administered by the Canadian Culinary Institute of the Canadian Federation of Chefs and Cooks (CFCC), is available to qualified chefs.