Our brain serves us to process and store memories. This process is continuous and unstoppable. Even when we sleep, our brain actively works. This skill is innate but can be trained and improved and serve to achieve more significant results. Have you ever noticed that we better remember vivid, colorful, active-living moments? We are sure that the answer is YES. The thing is that our brain concentrates and memorizes uncommon, exciting things that defer from the routine.
We struggle to remember the name of a person, but we recognize his/her face effortlessly. Some people accumulate encyclopedic knowledge (like historical events, population density, etc.), but it’s hard not to forget the last weekend gateway with friends.
There are two kinds of memory: short-term and long-term. While the second one has an almost unlimited capacity that lasts years, the short-term memory is comparatively brief and limited. Our brain resembles a computer processor; its hardware can become outdated and slow down. In other words, our brains can weaken with age; it’s inevitable. To remain sharp and in good shape, your mind needs training, the same way your muscles do.
Tips for Brain Training
- First of all, it’s essential to underline specific data that we don’t need to store. For example, irrelevant information like shopping lists, telephone numbers, emails, or weekly schedule to let our brain-computer work optimally. Try to automate these processes as much as possible.
- Memory consists of two parts: concentration and recall. While concentrating, we get more chances to absorb quickly and accurately the material. Moreover, when we have background music or a pleasant visual picture, our brains help us memorize things almost effortlessly.
- The most pleasant but not so easy to accomplish advice is to sleep at least 8 hours a day. Sleeping resets our brain, and it is essential for the learning process. The first half of the night is a so-called deep sleep period when your brain processes all the new data and figures. So-called siesta or a short nap boosts your memory potential 500%.
- Another essential feature is to do sports. Exercising enriches our blood and, as a consequence, brains with oxygen and stimulates blood flow. Keep calm, and take a break after study. Four or five hours after learning is the best time for an effective workout that improves brain optimization.
- A healthy lifestyle and a balanced diet considerably improve the effectiveness of brain activity. We recommend trying the Mediterranean diet, which mainly consists of fruits, vegetables, seafood, nuts, and olive oil that, according to many scientific studies, improves brain activity.
- New information is more likely to memorize when you encode and relate it with any existing concept. Make logical connections, assign meanings and associate subjects, events with a place, and vice-versa.
- It’s hard to learn everything at once. At first, concentrate on general facts and then learn specific details about them. This method englobes associations and recalling techniques. Your brain will establish connections between already known facts with new features. It also helps to develop your analytical skills so irreplaceable at the time of essay preparation.
- Reading aloud helps to concentrate and catch details. Remember, when you don’t disturb anyone else, try to read aloud, and you will be surprised by the results. Using speech organs, we switch on our auditive skills that, along with a visual picture, immerse us in a perfect learning environment.
- Without any doubt, we can affirm that one of the best memorization techniques consists of teaching someone else and making him/her understand the material you’ve learned. Similarly, you can become an online essay writer and write about what you’ve learned. In both cases, you must choose the right simple words that convey the essence. You will be surprised, but having explained something at least once, you are unlikely to forget this information. This way is how our brain works.
- Use mnemonics or elaborative encoding. Supercharge your memory with alternative and practical tactics:
- Use your favorite music to recall important details. Rhythm and melody help a lot to remember lists.
- Associating expressions or words with concepts consists of taking the first letter of each item or subject to arrange a phrase or word.
- Chunking technique consists of breaking information into 5-7 smaller pieces; your brain will process this data faster.
- It’s advantageous to pay attention to notes organization, images associations, acronyms, diagrams, cycles, graphs, flowcharts, etc. to process, understand, and store data. Mnemonics is commonly used for foreign-language acquisition, numerical sentences, and mathematical operations, as in many other disciplines.
- Use the method of loci or also known as the Memory Palace. Associate concepts you are trying to memorize with a unique place or image. By categorizing the items, you establish brain connections that come to your mind every time you may need it.
Keep in mind our recommendation and use them when necessary. It will be great to receive feedback on your achievements. We encourage you to share them.