The Dr. George and Emma J. Torrison Scholarship Fund provides grants for men and women who intend to pursue careers in medicine and have been accepted in a medical school. The donors had a particular concern to encourage persons whose careers would lead them toward working to alleviate currently incurable diseases.
A maximum of four grants of up to $4,000 each will be awarded in June of each year. Grants are made on a one-time basis and are not renewable.
1. Applicants must hold membership in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA).
2. Applicants must be graduating seniors who have been accepted into a medical school and will be first-year students in the fall of the year of application.
3. Applicants will be judged on merit, not on need.
Students wishing to apply for the Torrison Scholarship may seek nominations from the following persons:
1. Applicants from ELCA colleges and universities will be nominated by the President of the institution (or his/her designee).
2. Applicants at public colleges and universities will be nominated by the ELCA campus pastor.
3. Applicants at colleges/universities where there is no Lutheran campus ministry will be nominated by the pastor of the ELCA church in which they hold membership.
Deadline for nominations is April 5th, 2013.