This program started in 2007, the Technical Scholarship is a one-time, $1,000 gift to students in technical programs who hope to take their education into the coal industry where there is a great demand for technical applications.
The following are the scholarship criteria. Each applicant MUST be:
1. A first-year student at a two-year Technical/Trade School in good standing at the time of selection;
2. Both a U.S. citizen and a legal resident of one of the Rocky Mountain Coal Mining Institute (RMCMI) member states - Arizona, Colorado, Montana, New Mexico, North Dakota, Texas, Utah, or Wyoming;
3. Studying an applicable trade; and
4. Interested in coal as a career path.
Scholarship selection is managed as follows:
1. The RMCMI Scholarship Chairman will distribute scholarship applications to interested technical/trade institutions. Nominations will be accepted only from students meeting the scholarship criteria.
2. It is the intention of the RMCMI to award a scholarship to a resident candidate from each member state as listed above. Applications from each state will be reviewed and rated by the RMCMI Scholarship Committee. Interview of top candidates by RMCMI Chairman may be conducted. However, if there is no candidate acceptable to the RMCMI Scholarship Committee from a particular state, no award will be given for that state.
Scholarship presentation is handled as follows:
1. The monetary value of the scholarship, as set annually by the RMCMI Board of Directors, is sent directly to the college, university or technical school to be used as tuition credit for the winner. The 2018 Scholarship value is $1,000 for one year.