Go Back To Scholarship Listings

Mary M Gooley Hemophilia Scholarship

Scholarship Value: $2,000
Awards Available: 2

If you or a family member is diagnosed with a bleeding disorder, you may be eligible for one of many academic scholarship opportunities available both locally and nationally. The Mary M. Gooley Hemophilia Center, in collaboration with the Hemophilia Foundation of Upstate New York (HFUNY), is proud to offer two scholarships to assist patients and their families with the cost of obtaining a college education.

1) The Mary M. Gooley Hemophilia Scholarship Fund

The Mary M. Gooley Hemophilia Center first offered a scholarship in 1996 to assist individuals within the bleeding disorder community to pursue studies beyond high school. Applicants awarded this scholarship may receive up to $2,000 in assistance towards direct costs associated with attending an accredited institution.

2) The Bob Hersh Memorial Scholarship

Bob was a Psychologist at Finger Lakes Developmental Disabilities service office and Associate Professor at Monroe Community College. His community involvement included the AIDS Rochester Program Review Committee and the American Association of Mental Retardation. Bob was a past Hemophilia Center Board member and also served as Board Secretary for two terms between 1995 and 2001. In 2009, this scholarship was created to honor Bob's memory. Individuals planning to enter a helping or teaching profession may apply for this scholarship and receive up to $1,000 in assistance.

Eligibility Criteria

In order to be eligible for one of these scholarships, all the following criteria must be met:

A) Candidates must be a high school upperclassman or graduate or a student already enrolled in a post-secondary school program; must be planning to enroll in a course of study at an accredited 2- or 4-year college, university or vocational technical school program or certified training program (with priority given to undergraduate study).

B) Candidates must be a person affected directly or indirectly by hemophilia, von Willebrand disease, another diagnosed bleeding disorder, Gaucher disease or an iron overload disorder, including hemochromatosis.

C) Candidates must reside in and/or will attend school in one of the following 48 upstate NY counties: Albany, Allegany, Broome, Cattaraugus, Cayuga, Chautauqua, Chemung, Chenango, Clinton, Columbia, Cortland, Delaware, Erie, Essex, Franklin, Fulton, Genesee, Greene, Hamilton, Herkimer, Jefferson, Lewis, Livingston, Madison, Monroe, Montgomery, Niagara, Oneida, Onondaga, Ontario, Orleans, Oswego, Otsego, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Schuyler, Seneca, St. Lawrence, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins, Warren, Washington, Wayne, Wyoming and Yates.

D) In addition, candidates applying for the Bob Hersh Memorial Scholarship must also plan on pursuing a degree in a helping or teaching profession.

View Scholarship
No Essay You Deserve it Scholarship - $2,222
The Requirements for YDI Scholarships are: A) You must be a resident of any of the 50 United States, District of Columbia or US Territories B) You must be 16 years of age or older C) You must either be...
View Details
$10,000 College Scholarship for High School and College Students - $10,000
To be Eligible: 1. You must be at least 13 years old and enrolled or will enroll in a college or university in the US. 2. You must be a legal resident of the U.S. or Puerto Rico. The ScholarshipPoints program...
View Details
Nitro Scholarship - $2,000
To be eligible for the Nitro Scholarship you must be: A) A student who is currently enrolled as a high school senior or in an accredited college or university located within the United States; B) A parent who...
View Details
Be Bold Scholarship - $25,085
The $25,000 "Be Bold" Scholarship is a no-essay scholarship that will be awarded to the applicant with the boldest profile. It takes less than 2 minutes to apply. To us, boldest does not mean "best", or "most...
View Details
$1,000 Ultra Scholarship - $1,000
To be Eligible for the Ultra Scholarship: 1. You must be at least 13 years old and enrolled or will enroll in a college or university in the US. 2. You must be a legal resident of the U.S. or Puerto Rico....
View Details