Members of State Employees' Credit Union (SECU) established the People Helping People four-year scholarship program to help North Carolina public high school students attend college. Each of the 115 North Carolina Local Education Agencies (LEAs)/School Districts will receive a minimum of one scholarship valued at $10,000 payable at $1,250 for up to eight consecutive semesters for a senior to attend one of the 16 constituent campuses of the University of North Carolina System.
Recipients of the scholarship will be selected by the LEA Scholarship Selection Committee provided they meet all eligibility criteria. Scholarship recipient information must be submitted by the Scholarship Selection Committee at each LEA. No individual "applications" are reviewed by the Foundation.
The Scholarship Selection Committee will use the following criteria to award the SECU Foundation People Helping People Scholarship to a recipient who:
1. Is either an SECU member or is eligible for membership through a parent/guardian.
2. Is a senior at a North Carolina public high school who has been accepted to one of the 16 constituent campuses of the University of North Carolina System.
3. Is a US citizen and a resident of North Carolina under NCGS 116-143.1, and is eligible for in-state tuition.
4. Identifies a financial need as determined by submission of a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
5. Best exemplifies the "People Helping People" philosophy of State Employees' Credit Union, and has demonstrated leadership, excellence of character, integrity, and community involvement.
6. Demonstrates scholastic achievement with a maintained 2.5 or higher unweighted grade point average on a 4.0 scale, and may be deserving of financial aid.
7. Will use the scholarship to pay for full-time undergraduate student tuition and fees.
8. Agrees to continue as a full-time student in good standing with the same university for up to eight (8) consecutive fall/spring semesters payable at $1,250 per semester. Scholarships are not transferable without prior approval of SECU Foundation.
a. A written appeal for transfer must be made to the SECU Foundation prior to transfer.
b. No transfers will be allowed to a university outside of the UNC System.
c. Any gap in active enrollment will result in non-eligibility for funding for each semester missed.
9. Is not a Board Director, employee, or immediate family member of an employee of State Employees' Credit Union or the SECU Foundation.