The Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War (SUVCW) awards two $2,500 scholarships annually for tuition and books to high school seniors and college students (male or female) contingent upon their enrollment at an accredited four-year college or university prior to December 31st of the year the scholarship is granted.
Standards of Selection: The applicant should:
1. MALE APPLICANTS must be a current Member or Associate of the SUVCW. A photocopy of the applicant's current year membership card must be included. FEMALE APPLICANTS must be the daughter or granddaughter of a current Member or Associate of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War and a current member of at least one of the Allied Orders [Woman's Relief Corps (WRC), Ladies of the Grand Army of the Republic (LGAR), Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War 1861-1865 (DUVCW), or Auxiliary to the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War (ASUVCW)]. A photocopy of the applicant's current year membership card(s) must be included.
2. Rank in the upper one-fourth of high school graduating class, preferably in the upper onetenth;
3. Have a record of performance in activities both in school and in the community;
4. Have a sound interest and positive attitude toward college work;
5. Provide three letters of recommendation. These recommendations must be from your school counselor, a teacher, and a responsible person in your community. These recommendations must be submitted in separate, sealed envelopes, countersigned on the envelope flap by the recommender. These recommendations must be included in the application package. A transcript of your high school grades and/or college grades must be submitted in a sealed envelope countersigned on the envelope flap by the school registrar or sealed with the school seal. Transcripts must be included in the application package.
6. Submit all scholarship application materials in one package. Included in this package must be the completed application form, photocopies of appropriate current year membership cards, three letters of recommendation, and transcript(s).