Supervisors in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:
A. Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of workers who process, package, test and grade food, beverage and tobacco products
B. Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other units
C. Resolve work problems and recommend measures to improve productivity and product quality
D. Requisition materials and supplies
E. Train staff in job duties, safety procedures and company policy
F. Recommend personnel actions such as hirings and promotions
G. Prepare production and other reports.
1. Food manufacturing - 74.0%
2. Beverage and tobacco product manufacturing - 9.0%
3. Wholesale trade - 7.0%
1. Completion of secondary school is usually required.
2. Post-secondary education in microbiology or chemistry may be required for some positions in this group.
3. Several years of experience in the food, beverage or tobacco processing industry are required.
4. Hazard analysis critical control point (HACCP) co-ordinators require HACCP certification and several years of experience in quality assurance of food production.
5. Almost 2 in 5 have an undergraduate university degree.
3. Mechanics / Industrial Arts
4. Computer-related courses
The average hourly wages for Supervisors, Food, Beverage and Tobacco Processing is $18.27/HR, which is close to the average for occupations in the processing, manufacturing and utilities sector and are close to the average for all technical, professional, and skilled occupations. These wages grew at an average rate from 2002 to 2004.