Software engineers and designers perform some or all of the following duties:
A. Collect and document user's requirements and develop logical and physical specifications
B. Research, evaluate and synthesize technical information to design, develop and test computer-based systems
C. Develop data, process and network models to optimize architecture and to evaluate the performance and reliability of designs
D. Plan, design and co-ordinate the development, installation, integration and operation of computer-based systems
E. Assess, test, troubleshoot, document, upgrade and develop maintenance procedures for operating systems, communications environments and applications software
F. May lead and co-ordinate teams of information systems professionals in the development of software and integrated information systems, process control software and other embedded software control systems.
1. Computer systems design and related services - 37.0%
2. Information and cultural industries - 15.0%
3. Computer and electronic product manufacturing - 15.0%
4. Scientific research and development services - 8.0%
5. Wholesale trade - 5.0%
6. Architectural engineering and related services - 3.0%
7. Public administration - 2.0%
1. A bachelor's degree, usually in computer science, computer systems engineering, software engineering or mathematics or completion of a college program in computer science is usually required.
2. A master's or doctoral degree in a related discipline may be required.
3. Licensing by a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers is required to approve engineering drawings and reports and to practice as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.).
4. Engineers are eligible for registration following graduation from an accredited educational program, three or four years of supervised work experience in engineering and passing a professional practice examination.
5. Experience as a computer programmer is usually required.
6. Most recent entrants have an undergraduate university degree.
3. Computer-related courses
4. Industrial Arts (Electronics)
The average hourly wages for Software Engineers and Designers is $32.71/HR, which is above average for occupations in the natural and applied sciences and related occupations and above average for all professional occupations. These wages grew at an average rate from 2002 to 2004.