Food service counter attendants and food preparers perform some or all of the following duties:
A. Wash and peel vegetables and fruit
B. Wash work tables, cupboards and appliances
C. Remove trash and clear kitchen garbage containers
D. Unpack and store supplies in refrigerators, cupboards and other storage areas
E. Sweep and mop floors, and perform other duties to assist cook and kitchen staff.
1. Accommodation and food services - 80.0%
2. Health care and social assistance - 11.0%
3. Retail trade - 2.0%
4. Arts entertainment and recreation - 2.0%
5. Information and cultural industries - 1.0%
6. Other services (except public administration) - 1.0%
7. Educational services - 1.0%
1. Some secondary school education is usually required.
2. On-the-job training is provided.
3. Most recent entrants have a community college diploma, and almost 3 in 10 have a trade/vocational certificate.
The average hourly wages for Food Counter Attendants, Kitchen Helpers and Related Occupations is $8.90/HR, which is below average for occupations in the sale and service sector and are below average for all labouring and elemental occupations. These wages grew at an average rate from 2002 to 2004.