Residential and commercial installers and servicers install and service products such as water heaters, septic systems, and prefabricated windows, doors, and fences.
A. Waterworks maintenance workers maintain and repair waterworks equipment/facilities.
B. Gas maintenance workers perform routine maintenance/minor repairs to exterior/underground gas mains and distribution lines.
C. Automotive mechanical installers and servicers install parts such as mufflers, exhaust pipes, and shock absorbers, and perform oil changes and other routine maintenance on motor vehicles/heavy equipment.
D. Pest controllers and fumigators apply chemical/other treatments to buildings and outside areas to remove/destroy insects and other pests.
E. Other repairers and servicers repair and service a wide variety of products such as cameras, musical instruments, and coin/vending machines.
1. Construction - 27.0%
2. Retail trade - 21.0%
3. Other services (except public administration) - 12.0%
4. Wholesale trade - 8.0%
5. Utilities - 5.0%
6. Administrative and support waste management and remediation services - 5.0%
7. Arts entertainment and recreation - 2.0%
1. In general, you usually need some high school education.
2. You usually receive on-the-job training.
3. You may need college or other courses or experience in your company.
4. To be a residential and commercial installer or repairer, you usually need experience and may require a driver's licence.
5. To be a pest controller or fumigator, you need a pesticide applicator licence.
6. Most recent entrants have a community college diploma, and almost 2 in 5 have a trade/vocational certificate.
The average hourly wages for Other Installers, Repairers and Servicers is $14.95/HR, which is below average for occupations in the trades, transport and equipment operators sector and close to the average for all intermediate occupations. These wages grew at an average rate from 2002 to 2004.
10% of Other Installers, Repairers and Servicers are unemployed. This rate is above the average for intermediate occupations.