1. To be a technical specialist, you need a university degree or college diploma in a program related to the product/service being sold.
2. You may need experience in sales or in a technical occupation related to the product/service being sold.
3. You may need fluency in a specific foreign language and foreign work or travel experience to obtain employment with a company that imports/exports technical goods/services.
4. To be a technical sales supervisor, you need experience as a technical sales specialist.
5. With additional training or experience, you may move up the ranks to become a sales manager.
6. Most recent entrants have an undergraduate university degree, and almost 3 in 10 have a community college diploma.