This is what you typically need for the job:
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a three- to four-year apprenticeship program or A combination of over four years of work experience in the trade and some high school, college or industry courses in bricklaying is usually required to be eligible for trade certification.
- Trade certification for bricklayers is compulsory in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Quebec and available, but voluntary, in all other provinces and the Yukon.
- Trade certification for stonemasons is available, but voluntary, in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Trade certification for restoration stone masons is available, but voluntary, in Nova Scotia.
- Red Seal endorsement is also available to qualified bricklayers upon successful completion of the interprovincial Red Seal examination.