1. Completion of secondary school is usually required.
2. Completion of a three- to four-year apprenticeship program or a combination of over four years of work experience in the trade and some high school, college or industry courses in bricklaying is usually required to be eligible for trade certification.
3. Trade certification for bricklayers is compulsory in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Quebec and available, but voluntary, in all other provinces and the Yukon.
4. Trade certification for stonemasons is available, but voluntary, in Newfoundland.
5. Red Seal, an interprovincial trade certification, is also available to qualified bricklayers.