1. To work as an instructor or teacher of persons with disabilities, you usually need a bachelor's degree in special education or a related field such as psychology or social work. In some instances, a community college diploma and appropriate experience may replace a university education.
2. You must finish an appropriate training program in rehabilitation or special education.
3. To be a teacher working in public schools, you need a provincial/territorial teaching certificate.
4. To be an instructor of persons who are blind, you need certification by the Canadian National Institute for the Blind.
5. Many recent entrants have a community college diploma, and almost 2 in 5 have an undergraduate university degree.