1. In general, you usually need a high school diploma.
2. To be a crane operator, you need an apprenticeship of one to three years or crane operation courses.
3. In some provinces/territories, crane, boom truck, and mobile and tower crane operators require trade certification.
4. To be a mobile crane operator, you may need a licence to drive on public roads. If you have trade certification, you may also obtain interprovincial (Red Seal) trade certification, which provides job mobility throughout the country.
5. To be a driller, you may need heavy equipment operator experience and on-the-job training.
6. To be a blaster, you usually need a blasting licence and may need experience as a blaster helper in surface mining/quarrying. You usually receive on-the-job training.