1. To work in this field, you need a high school diploma.
2. To gain trade certification, you usually need to complete an apprenticeship program or have a combination of experience/courses. Trade certification is required for some occupations in some or all areas of Canada.
3. To work in most telecommunications occupations, you need a high school diploma. Many employers request a trade/vocational or community college diploma. Professional certification is available in most telecommunications occupations in this group.
4. Qualified tradespersons may also obtain interprovincial (Red Seal) trade certification, which provides job mobility throughout the country.
5. In some occupations, you need college or other courses in electronics/electrical technology, experience or on-the-job training or apprenticeship training.
6. Most recent entrants have a community college diploma and almost 2 in 5 have a trade/vocational certificate.