1. To be a technical inspector or regulatory officer, you usually need certification.
2. To be a non-destructive tester or inspector, you need a high school diploma and two years of a college or university engineering program.
3. To be an engineering inspector or regulatory officer, you need a college diploma or university degree in an appropriate field, or trade qualifications and extensive experience.
4. To be an inspector in public, environmental, or occupational health and safety, you usually need a college diploma or university degree in food science, environmental studies, chemistry, health and safety or a related field.
5. To be a construction inspector, you need a college diploma in construction, civil engineering or architectural technology plus several years' experience, or several years' experience as a qualified tradesperson.
6. Most recent entrants have an undergraduate university degree and almost 2 in 5 have a community college diploma.